Tap in and tap outTap in by holding your card against the validator each time you enter a station or board at a MyCiTi bus stop, and tap out by doing the same each time you leave a station or exit at a stop.
Using your card at stops
- If you begin your journey at a MyCiTi bus stop, tap in against the 'in' validator as you board the bus.
- If you end your journey at a MyCiTi bus stop, tap out against the 'out' validator as you leave the bus.
- If you begin or end your journey at a station tap against the validator at the access gates.
Don't pay a penalty
Your fare is calculated from where you tap in to where you tap out. Make sure you use the validators correctly or you will be charged a R25 penalty (R114 if your journey connects with the Airport):
- If you forget to tap in or tap out
- If you tap the wrong validator
- If you don't have enough money for your trip
The penalty for the first 3 times is R10.
Fare evaders will be charged up to R332 and may also be prosecuted.
Balance, statements and PIN changes
When there is less than R20 on your card, a yellow light will shine around the validator screen and you will hear multiple beeps after you tap your card. This means that the transaction was successful, but that you need to top up urgently.
You can check your balance, obtain a statement of recent transactions or change the myconnect PIN at MyCiTi station kiosks and any Absa ATM. You need your myconnect PIN number to access these services, including the option to change the PIN.
Steps to check balance, obtain mini-statement or change your PIN at any Absa ATM:
- Insert myconnect card
- Select language
- Enter PIN
- Select option from: Balance/ Mini Statement/ Update/ Cancel/ Change PIN
Forgotten your PIN?
If you have forgotten your PIN you'll need to have it reset at one of the following Absa branches: Heerengracht, Gardens, V&A Waterfront or Table View.